Thursday, June 18, 2009

Dragonfly Country

I walk my dogs almost every day in the Forest of Friendswood. I love the well-groomed gardens on the everyone's front yards and the wild wooded trails surrounding Clear Creek and the retention ponds. As the wildflowers bloom around clear creek and the retention ponds, the dragonflies and butterflies start to appear.

The other day I rescued a female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly from drowning in my pool. She must have hovered over the water to sip the cool water, but her wings touched the pool. The beauty of her wings spread open, yellow spotted with jewels, floating on the surface of the water like a new tattoo moved me to save her with the pool net. I gently scooped her up and set her on an oleander branch. She slowly flit her wings as the chlorinated water evaporated. I turned around and she flew off.


Today, the dogs and I walked by tens of dragonflies. Dark colored ones who were hunting for bug larvae and flowers. Their translucent wings intermittently reflected the bright sunlight. They hover over wild brush and dashed toward the weeds by the retention pond. It is the closest winged creature you can find that resemble fairies playing on a summer day. Magic surrounds you when you take the time to enjoy your surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment